Quick and easy A-line skirt tutorial |Keeping it Real

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Quick and easy A-line skirt tutorial

Hello, and welcome! Last weekend I whipped up a skirt for my daughter our of a gorgeous floral fabric. 

I've been making these skirts for a while now (for her, since I rarely wear skirts myself) and never really use a pattern. But since the process is very easy to follow and the skirts are finished in next to nothing, I decided to share here a quick tutorial.


Quick and easy A-line skirt tutorial

For my daughter I started with two 70 x 75 cm rectangles of fabric (front and back). The rectangles (dotted lines) and the actual skirt panels (solid lines) are shown below, along with sizing orientation:


You need to make sure the width of each of the skirt panels is enough to to around your waist when both panels are sewn together. As a rule, my top width for each panel is the 1/2 + 1/5 the circle of the waist (more if you want a more gathered skirt)

Once the front and back of the skirt are cut, then you just need to:

  • sew the side seams (place one panel on top of the other, right sides together, and sew top to bottom on each side; I like to use a zig zag stitch on these seams, to reduce potential fraying; if you have a serger, this is the perfect place to use it)
  • create the elastic casing by folding the fabric at the top of the skirt inwards 1/2 of the size you want your casing to be, and then folding again for the full size of the casing. Stitch all around, leaving a small opening to insert your elastic through (I always find wider elastics more comfortable for this kind of skirts, so I make large elastic casings)
  • Insert the elastic through the opening (I use a safety pin to help push the elastic along the casing), sew both edges together, and then close the opening (I usually hand sew these openings, but machine sewing works just fine too)
  • Create the hem (use the same folding system as with the elastic casing) and sew all around.





And your skirt is ready to be used!

Please note that this tutorial is for an unlined skirt, which means that you should not use it with sheer or too thin fabrics. Measurements provided are also indicative and you need to make sure they work for you before cutting the fabric.


  
 
And on a side note, don't you just love this fabric?





Have fun, and happy Thursday!



Keeping it Real, craft blog





As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.










No comments:

Post a Comment