Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband |Keeping it Real

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband

Remember the two old t-shirts I upcycled into gift bags? You can read all about them here. But well, there was a third t-shirt  - that I actually turned into a headband for myself. 


Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband


It was a very quick process (so quick I forgot to take pictures of all the steps), but it any case it's fairly easy to replicate. 

First, I cut a strip of fabric from the t-shirt. The thing with knit fabrics is that then tend to stretch more in one direction than the other, so when you cut the fabric you need to account for that. If you're cutting into the stretch you need a shorter piece to go around your head, since it will stretch more. 


Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband


The piece I cut was actually large because I wanted a large headband. The width that you cut should be approximately half the width you want your headband to have in the end (add just a bit more for seam allowance). 

Fold the fabric in half lengthwise (right sides together) and sew along the edge. Turn inside out and roll it until the seam is in the middle, as shown below (this will make the seam invisible when you wear the headband):


Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband

 
I forgot to take photos of the next step, but you just need to join the two shorter edges together to create a circle. Fold the fabric towards the inside a bit on one of the edges, tuck the other edge into the first one and top stitch. Easy, right?


Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband


And you now have a headband!


Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband



It wasn't very easy to take a photo of me wearing the headband, but this one at least gives you an idea of how large it is: 


Upcycled: old t-shirt to headband



Have fun, and happy Wednesday,


Keeping it Real, craft blog





As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.







No comments:

Post a Comment