Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags |Keeping it Real

Monday, August 9, 2021

Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags

Hello, and welcome! Today I'm sharing another upcycling project. If you've been visiting a while you already know I love creating eco-friendly gift packages. So when my son discarded two t-shirts that didn't fit anymore, I decided to use them to make gift bags. 



Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags




Here are the t-shirts I started with: 


Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags



Luckily both shirts had patterns that worked well in any direction, so I cut the tops, turned the fabric upside down, used the hemmed bottoms of the t-shirts as the top of the bags and just added one additional seam (as the bottom of the new bags): 


Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags

Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags



While I have a certain dislike of sewing with knit fabrics, sometimes using knits comes with a bonus: in this case, I was able to push a piece of ribbon in between the original hemline of the t-shits using just a needle (no need to even cut a hole for the ribbon to pass through): 


Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags


And that was it! 


Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags



Which means that in less than 10 minutes I had these two cute gift bags ready to be used!


Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags

Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags



Now both bags already have gifts inside and are ready to be sent to their new owners.


Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags

Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags

Upcycled: t-shirts to gift bags



Have fun, and happy Monday,


Keeping it Real, craft blog





As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.







5 comments:

  1. clever recycling idea! These also make comfy pillows for travel or sleepovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pillows are a great idea, though probably you have to use larger t-shirts than these. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. What a clever idea! These turned out great. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, this is one of my personal favorites for last week’s Encouraging Hearts and Home. I hope you stop by and say hello, this post has also been pinned to the Encouraging Hearts and Home board! Thank you for being a part of Encouraging Hearts and Home, we appreciate all that you share. Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete