Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel |Keeping it Real

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel

Hello, and welcome. It's been a while since I shared an upclycing project but this one was so quick and easy I just had to post about it here.


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel


My husband discarded a cotton shirt because it was both the neck and the cuffs were too worn out. I did love the pattern in the fabric, though, so I knew I wanted to make something with it. 


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel


There are lots of things you can make with an old shirt, but a lot of them take longer than the time I had available to sew - and I just didn't want to start a new project that I couldn't finish (another for the pile). So I took the shortest route - and made a kitchen towel.

Save for a few that I bought recently, most of my kitchen towels are either gifts or upcycles. And it's so easy that there's really no reason not to make them.


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel


From the back of the shirt I cut a simple rectangle of fabric. Due to the stripes in the pattern, I was fairly easy to cut straight lines with just a pair of scissors.


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel

  
Initially had thought just to hem the "new" kitchen towel but then discovered some thin brown bias tape in my stash that I had never used before - and it was just perfect for this one. 


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel


So instead of hemming I decided to sew bias tape all around the edges: 


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel


I'm not a huge fan of sewing bias tape (because it somehow never ends up as I envisaged it), but it this case I think it turned out pretty good, especially considering this is an upcycle anyway. 

Here's my new dishtowel, ironed and ready to be used: 


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel


Upclycled: old shirt to kitchen towel

Happy Tuesday!

Keeping it Real, craft blog






As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.










1 comment: