Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily |Keeping it Real

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily

Hello, and welcome! Today I'm sharing here what ended up being a really quick project: a fabric doily with a crochet edge.

Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily



It all started with this pair of vintage looking fabric, which were, in fact, wrapping a couple of handmade soaps I got for Christmas (pictured below after washing and ironing...): 


Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily


They remind me of the fabrics my grandmother used to decorate her house. And since I ended up inheriting my grandparents house in the small village my grandfather was born almost 120 years ago, I decided creating a couple of doilies was just a perfect way to use up these squares of fabric.

I cut a circle out of the red fabric (using a vintage dish as a guideline, of course) and a similar circle of a beige fabric for the back of the doily. 


Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily


I sewed both fabrics right sides together, leaving a small opening to turn inside out. 

Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily

Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily


I made a few cuts on the edge all around, to make it easier for the fabric to lay down flat when turning it inside out. 




After turning inside out and sewing the opening shut, I debated adding a bit of lace to the edge: 

Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily


But it wasn't turning out as well as I wanted, so I gave up and added the crochet border instead. 


Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily

Vintage-style fabric & crochet doily


If you want the details on the crochet border, you can check the YouTube tutorial below: 




I still haven't decide how exactly I'm going to use the blue piece of fabric, I'll let you know how that goes hopefully soon.

And the bonus? This was all made using items I already had at home, so it counts towards my 2024 goal of using up my craft supplies stash!

Have fun and enjoy your week!

Keeping it Real, craft blog






As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

See it on Amazon

2 comments: