No clutter in 2015: week 21 update |Keeping it Real

Thursday, May 28, 2015

No clutter in 2015: week 21 update


decluttering, no clutter in 2015

This week I'm focused on decluttering my kitchen. This includes counter-tops, cabinets and the pantry. 

I was actually going to post some tips on how to declutter the pantry, learned the hard way, from personal experience, but I realized such a post would be useless without actual pictures, so I'll work on that over the weekend and post next week instead. 

I started with the counter-tops, mostly storing away several kitchen appliances that are not used everyday and were just occupying space and gathering dust outside. Now they are safely tucked away in one of the cabinets. 

To gather space in the cabinet to store the appliances, I needed to substantially reduce the number of cookbooks and recipe magazines that previously lived there. I went through all the recipes and discarded everything that I've never used before and probably never will. Things that one or more family members don't like (when I cook, it must be something everyone can eat), recipes that involve food we just don't eat at our house, etc. There are so many great recipes available online, that it's useless to save a lot of them on paper! Actually, I'm debating whether or not I should just scan all our favorite recipes, store them on the computer (or on Pinterest) and get rid of all the paper.

I still have some work to do on the counter-tops, but mostly small stuff, half of which will probably just be tossed in the garbage can anyway. 

Then I went through the pantry (hence the post I was planning for today and that will be out next week instead), discarding a lot of things and storing others in a different way. I hate to throw away food, so I don't want any food items to get lost in the pantry and end up not being used before expiry date. 

Finally, I need to tackle the rest of the kitchen cabinets. Only the one where the kitchen appliances are stored was decluttered and cleaned out, but the others need to go through the same process as well, and I'm sure a lot of items will the tossed out too. I'll let you know next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment