No clutter in 2015: week 9 update |Keeping it Real

Thursday, March 5, 2015

No clutter in 2015: week 9 update


We are already in the first week of March, so two full months have elapsed since the start of my decluttering adventure.

This past week was kind of slow. We've been dealing with one sick kid and my husband's car has also been down for repairs, increasing the stress of our usually already stressed mornings to get the kids to school (or to grandma for the day until fever breaks down) and get ourselves to work.

Still, last weekend I managed to get rid of two bags of items to donate and I also threw away the last of the floppy disks around, so the shelves beneath our TV are much emptier, and will be nicely ordered as soon as I can find the time to sort through the DVDs and Wii game boxes and organize them.

Looking back, I already achieved a lot and I'm proud to say that we have been behaving rather well and maintaining clutter free all areas that were already cleaned and decluttered.

Our living room still looks a mess, not only because that's where the kids spend most of their time playing (they don't like to be alone upstairs when I'm in the kitchen cooking or doing the laundry) but also because my husband is in the middle of some schoolwork and has papers and case studies spread over the table.

Books still throw me for a loop, though. I thought it would be easier to sell them as used books, but now I'm thinking I'm probably going to just donate all of them too. Still, I have not bought one single physical book since the beginning of the year, and I have not been reading any less, so I guess changing into digital books will definitely bring me some long term decluttering advantages.

Next weekend I plan to go through my clothes closet. And some spring cleaning is also on my list. I'll let you know how it goes next week!


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support. I really need to do this for our family, so I hope I can really keep it up! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. I agree about the books and going digital. I hate the clutter and we've given so many books away. When Hubby and I first got married, our prized worldly possessions that we both brought to the marriage were books! This morning I suggested to Amanda (my 7 year-old) that it's time we gave some of her toys away again. She was fine with the idea, thankfully. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess decluttering has to be a commitment of the entire family, that's what we are trying to do in our house. It's not easy, but I'm confident that be the year-end we will have conquered most of our clutter...

      Delete