Thursday Throwdown: consistent shop theme vs. selling whatever you want |Keeping it Real

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Thursday Throwdown: consistent shop theme vs. selling whatever you want

Hello, and welcome. I'm back today with this week's Thursday Throwdown: to have or not to have a consistent shop theme.


Thursday Throwdown: consistent shop theme vs. selling whatever you want


My organising tendencies vote in favor of a consistent theme. That's why I also like to keep the photo backgrounds of my items similar throughout my Etsy shop (read my post about it here) .

And that goes for any online shop, not only Etsy. I much prefer to buy at a shop that looks organised than at one that seems to have all kinds of products all over.




That being said, you can have a broad enough theme to encompass a lot of things. My Etsy shop's theme is handmade gifts, and I sell a lot of different things under that "umbrella". What I do is try to organize them into clear sections, so that people can find what they are looking for easily.

On the picture below you can see some of the sections I currently have in my shop (bottom right):





Could I suddenly start selling something totally different - let's say, for example, vintage items - in my shop? Bottom line, I could. I would add a section called "vintage" and have those items as alternative gifts. They would not be handmade, so I would probably need to change the shop announcement a bit, but it could work.




Creativity knows no boundaries, so if you're selling what you create there will be new and different items for sale at some point. A general store sells lots of different items and it still makes total sense to go and shop there.




So...in my view you can sell whatever you want and still find a way to make it look consistent. You just need to make it clear for everyone what you are selling, have a general purpose and keep things as organised as possible.

My shop, sadly, is still on vacation, I'm hoping the current world situation improves soon and we can all go back to our normal lives. In the meantime, happy Thursday, and be sure to also check out the other bloggers' Throwdown Thursday posts:



Summer vs. Winter - Thursday Throwdown



Keeping it Real, craft blog

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you have your shop organized! :) I agree with being able to have a variety of types of items as long as we organize them into sections.

    ReplyDelete