Hello, and welcome. I'm back here today to share a little project I tackled last Sunday afternoon: recovering the lampshade from my son's room.
After my son was born, he slept in our room for almost two years, so he never really had a nursery. When we finally moved him to his own room, we bought a cute little lampshade with a little blue train on it, because the boy just loved anything on wheels (or tracks, for that matter).
Fast forward almost nine years (he'll be ten in July) and the lampshade wasn't in pristine condition anymore. You can't see it very clearly in the pictures below, but the train was more gray than blue by now, and the white trim was full of yellowish spots too.
So I dug around for the leftover fabric from his bedroom curtains (which yes, were homemade too, though not by me - thank you mother!) and decided to use it to recover the lampshade.
Recovering a lampshade isn't really very difficult, and you can see below the other one I recovered in the past:
Because this was a project I really wanted to finish on Sunday, I didn't take time to document a full tutorial, but basically I removed the train (which was a vinyl applique over the main body of the lampshade, and removed the stained trim, keeping everything else intact (it's easier to recover a lampshade if you keep the structure intact).
I covered the lampshade with white fabric, sewn top and bottom over the existing structure. No need to keep very straight stitches as long as you're planning to add trim. Glue works well to if you don't want to sew.
Then I removed the excess fabric and glued the trims. A white bias-tape-style trim at the top (using the same white fabric) and a strip of brow-beige fabric to match the curtains at the bottom. Here's the end result:
It was almost nightfall when I finally managed to hang the lampshade back in place, so the pictures are not very clear, but overall I'm happy with the result - it perfectly matches the rest of the decor, it was quick and easy, and also inexpensive.