- 1 sheet of puff pastry, either store bought or homemade. If you're buying the puff pastry, try to find the sheets that come in a rectangular or square shape instead of the round ones. If you're making the pastry, just roll it out in a shape as close to a rectangle as you can.
- powdered cinnamon
- Spread or unroll your puff pastry sheet
- Sprinkle a clean, smooth surface (your kitchen table or counter) with sugar and cinnamon powder and place the sheet of puff pastry on top, pressing a little to make sure the sugar adheres to it
- Sprinkle the top side of the puff pastry sheet with more sugar and cinnamon
- Cut strips of puff pastry about 2 centimeters wide
- Roll the edges of each strip towards the center, until it looks like this:
- Use your fingers to flatten it a bit:
- Place each piece on a slightly greased oven tray
- Bake for about 20 - 25 minutes until the palmiers have turned a lovely golden color
- Remove from the oven and let them cool (though I confess I'm partial to eating them still warm). Enjoy.
This is a very easy and quick pastry to make at home, and if you prefer the traditional simple flavor, just remove the cinnamon. Because you can make it from scratch and you can control the amount of sugar you add to it, it's also much healthier than store bought alternatives.