A "Day at the Beach" cake |Keeping it Real

Tuesday, July 23, 2019

A "Day at the Beach" cake

Hello, and welcome. A couple of years ago I decided to add cake decor to my list of crafts. Not because I have a special talent for baking, but mostly because I was spending way too much money on the cakes for all of my kids' birthday parties - in between celebrating with close family, taking a cake to school for their classmates and then organizing a party just for the kids, I was buying two to three cakes a year for each of them. The solution? DIY, of course. 

A "Day at the Beach" cake

I started with easy decor ideas from Pinterest but, as they say, practice makes perfect, so this year I ventured into more elaborate designs.

A "Day at the Beach" cake




This "Day at the Beach" cake lived in my had for a few months. I was slowly (and silently) planning) what to do in terms of size, placement and added decor items.


A "Day at the Beach" cake


I made it for my son's birthday party, the one we hosted at home with our family and close friends.


A "Day at the Beach" cake


The palm trees and the flamingo are not edible.


A "Day at the Beach" cake

 
The sailboat is from one of my son's Lego sets, and the umbrella came from the dollar store.


A "Day at the Beach" cake


Everything else is made of fondant.


A "Day at the Beach" cake


And the sand, in case you're wondering, is make of cookie crumbs.


A "Day at the Beach" cake

A "Day at the Beach" cake



Happy summer!


Keeping it Real, craft blog







1 comment:

  1. ¡¡Que tarta tan bonita!! Es muy divertida, y me encanta los detalles que le has colocado y lo ingeniosa que eres. El barco de Lego, la sombrilla... Y lo mejor la arena hecha de galleta, es genial!! Enhorabuena!!
    Besitos.

    ReplyDelete