Button organization ideas |Keeping it Real

Monday, January 15, 2018

Button organization ideas

While my main crafty goal for 2018 is destashing (you can read about it here), a better organization system of craft supplies will also go a long way to improve the status of my crafts closet. So...I decided to start with buttons. 
 

While I'm not exactly a button collector, I do own a lot of buttons. Some of them were inherited from my grandmother, others were passed along by my mother. And, of course, a lot of them were bought by me. Previously they were all stored in an old tin can whose lid had the unpleasant habit of slipping out of place at the worst times, allowing the buttons to spread all over. 

Here's the before: 


After a lot of brainstorming and some online research, I chose to buy a wooden box with a clear lid. 


 
It has several divisions to better organize the buttons and it snaps securely shut, which is a huge bonus also. And since I got in at the Chinese store, it was pretty inexpensive too. 

Here's the after: 



See? a very easy solution to a problem that had been nagging me for ages. And a significant step towards a more streamlined and organized 2018. 

Other button organization ideas you may want to check out:


Fun & Easy Organization for Craft Buttons


Creating a Sequin Station for your Craft Space
(this one was originally made for sequins but should work wonderfully for buttons, especially if you have lots of different colors)


Mason Jar Storage Shelf Tutorial

Sew Inspiring Rooms
(lots of organizing inspiration, you need to scroll down a bit to get to the buttons section...)


Happy Monday,

keeping it real, craft blog







5 comments:

  1. Truth be told I've got some similar boxes, but I've never been 100% happy with them. If I'm looking for a specific button, the buttons tend to jump from one section into the next and I've got the feeling I can never see all buttons really. I do like seperate boxes which I can tip the buttons out onto a tray or a plate and sift through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For now I'm happy with this one, as it's a great improvement over my previous system. I want to streamline my craft supplies this year, so I also want to limit the number of storage boxes. If I have too much room, I'll be tempted to buy more stuff. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind and see how this box works for me in the coming months.

      Delete
  2. We do have to begin somewhere with craft room organization. I'm participating in a craft room makeover challenge and can attest to the word 'challenge'! My buttons are in repurposed jars. Love the little chest you found! Thanks for sharing this idea with us at Merry Monday. Please come again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A challenge it is, and I'm just starting. I thought about jars too, but I wanted to keep all the buttons in one place and with a minimum of compartments to sort by color.
      Thank you for hosting, and for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I used to have lots of lovely buttons, but the last time I shifted and downsized the button lost out. Your ideas are very good, you have some great buttons, don't throw them out especially the ones handed down to you, I am sure they are interestingly lovely.
    Kathleen
    Blogger's Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete