My latest crochet project... |Keeping it Real

Thursday, January 14, 2016

My latest crochet project...

On a regular basis my daughter complains that her dolls don't have enough clothes. Besides, her dolls don't like to share clothes, which makes it all much more difficult.

crochet doll coat, doll clothes

Last year she asked me to make some winter hats and scarfs for a couple of dolls and, because I wanted to re-start knitting, I complied. Actually, the hats turned out so well that I created a tutorial on how to make easy winter knit hats of any size. 

This time, her request was a bit more difficult (at least for me). She wanted a coat for one of her babies. I stalled for a couple of days, wondering how was I going to fit that into my always busy schedule, and even browsed a few patterns online. 

In the end? I winged it!

I didn't bother with a pattern, just crocheted rectangles in the right sizes (taking measurements directly from the doll): one large rectangle for the back (almost a square, really), two smaller ones (but large enough to overlap) for the front and a couple more for the sleeves. 

crochet doll coat, doll clothes

I was using bits of leftover yarn (from my son's fluffy owl pillow) and the yellow ended halfway through the sleeves, so I had to add a bit of green.

crochet doll coat, doll clothes

While sewing it all together my daughter passed me the message that I wasn't doing it right, because that's not how grandma does it (my mother knits a lot and the kids are used to seeing her making lots of sweaters and coats for all of us). I considered myself duly informed, but since I only had a small time slot available, it was the best I could do. 

crochet doll coat, doll clothes


I let her pick the buttons from my stash, and she decided to add the pink bear button too as decoration. 

In the end, I don't think it turned out too bad for less than an hour's work.
crochet doll coat, doll clothes

And now my daughter can take her baby for a stroll without worrying about her getting sick... :).


For the knit winter hat tutorial, check below: 
http://keepingitrreal.blogspot.com.es/2015/02/easy-winter-hat-tutorial.html

Happy Thursday!



8 comments:

  1. My mum and nan both made clothes for my dolls when I was little. I can't believe you managed to crochet with that fluffy yarn though, I tried once but just couldn't see what I was doing, I ended up having to knit with it - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fluffy yarn is difficult to work with. The advantage is that if you make a mistake, no is going to notice it anyway....Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete
  2. Love it! I used to sew clothes for my daughters dolls. This is really cute! Thank you for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday! Pinned to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! And I love your daughters comments...out of the mouths of Babes! :-) Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday and I hope to see you again this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do have to learn to do it the granny way...Thank you for stopping by Elaine!

      Delete
  4. This is so cute! Thank you so much for sharing :) My daughter loves it!
    Joanita @ Snickerdoodle Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad! Thank you for stopping by and have a great weekend!

      Delete