Puffy bow hair clips tutorial |Keeping it Real

Friday, October 17, 2014

Puffy bow hair clips tutorial

Did you miss me? I have been totally out of the loop since we have been dealing with a nasty stomach virus that landed me, my daughter and my husband in the ER between the end of last week and most of this week as well. The only one that so far has miraculously escaped has been my son and hope I'm just not jinxing it by writing this, since we have a wedding to attend on Sunday and really need to be back in shape by them.

Anyway, a week ago I stayed at home to take care of my daughter (she was the first one to come down with the virus) and because I was not sick then (or at least not showing any symptoms) I felt the need to cheer her up (and do something with my hands other than changing puked bed sheets), so I came up with the puffy bow hair clips.

bow hair clips, puffy bows


After making the first bow I decided to create a small tutorial and took all the pictures. Then I got sick as well and never finished writing the post. Now, finally, here it is.

Start with some cute fabric and some simple hair clips. 




bow hair clips, puffy bows

To make the bow, cut a square of fabric as shown below. I did not measure the fabric but you can see how it compares to the clip at its side to have an idea.

bow hair clips, puffy bows

Then fold the square in half to get a rectangle...

 bow hair clips, puffy bows

...and, wrong sides together, sew around the long side and one of the shorter sides of the rectangle, leaving open the other shorter side.

bow hair clips, puffy bows
bow hair clips, puffy bows





Turn it inside out, insert polyester filling through the opening...

bow hair clips, puffy bows

... and then sew the opening shut. You now have something that resembles a small pillow:

bow hair clips, puffy bows





Now cut a smaller rectangle of fabric and fold both edges over (it will resemble bias tape).

bow hair clips, puffy bows
bow hair clips, puffy bows



Pin and sew the tip of the fabric onto the back of your "pillow" and pull it around the body of the bow:

bow hair clips, puffy bows



bow hair clips, puffy bows





Trim excess fabric and sew the other end at back as well, to maintain the bow shape. You have made one puffy bow!

bow hair clips, puffy bows






Sew or glue it to the hair clip and your puffy bow hair clips are ready to be used (as long as glue is dry, LOL).


bow hair clips, puffy bows


It is an easy and simple way to make cute hair clips to match all your girl's outfits.


bow hair clips, puffy bows

bow hair clips, puffy bows





Enjoy,




3 comments:

  1. So cute. I don't have a granddaughter, but my grandson who will be 7 next month, loves to wear a bow tie! LOL!!! Maybe these would be good as a clip on bowtie? Only in boy colors of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a 7 year old boy as well, but since he doesn't like to wear naything close to his neck, I never thought of that. But you are right, the puffy bow would look good on a boy too!

      Delete
  2. Super cute! These will be great stocking stuffers. If you're looking for another place to share your projects, I would love to have you stop by Etcetorize and join our Make it Monday party. It's open now :)

    ReplyDelete