It is a crochet book cover that I started almost three months ago. When I shared it in this post it still looked like this:
Yesterday I finally finished the crochet and then realized I had two problems: (1) the crochet by itself was too soft to hold its shape and (2) it was not large enough to have enough of a flap to actually hold the book inside, so my initial measurements were off. Since I was not going to undo the crochet (it took me three months!), I decided to line the whole thing with felt.
Now I have a working book case. But does it look perfect? It does not. With the felt it became too thick. And can you see the little waves in the bottom? Maybe I should have hand sewn it instead of using the sewing machine, but the truth is that the crochet is not 100% adjusted to the felt below.
It's not a total loss, and I did use leftover yarn for the experience (from this project). I still like the colors and the details of the buttons and I'm going to use it anyway, but it definitely did not turn out like I expected.
Maybe one day I'll try to make another one, either with a thicker yarn or lined with fabric instead of felt. But taking into account the time it took me to get this one finished, I'm not sure I will want to tackle it again in the near future. The idea is still good, though, so if you're a crochet savvy, try it and I'm sure you will to better than me (or let me know if you have any improvement suggestions).
See you around,